How To Manage Your Allergies In Lawrenceville, GA
Do you dread the summer with its high pollen count and lawn mowing? Avoidance is a common allergy management strategy. However, at Pediatric Associates of Lawrenceville in Lawrenceville, GA, your board-certified allergy physicians can show you additional ways to manage these hypersensitivities. Lead a fuller, more comfortable life!
What are allergies?
Allergies are your immune system's over-reaction to things in the environment. Common triggers are animal dander, pollen, insect stings, shellfish, peanuts, household chemicals and latex. But, frankly, most any substance potentially is an allergen.
When people encounter something they are sensitive to, they often react with skin, GI or respiratory symptoms such as:
- Nasal congestion
- Runny nose
- Watery eyes
- Itchy, red skin
- Abdominal cramps
- Itchy lips, tongue and palate
Medical News Today explains that 50 million Americans have severe allergic reactions annually. Called anaphylaxis, these allergies may cause airway swelling and loss of consciousness which is life-threatening.
Managing your allergies
If these symptoms sound familiar, consult with the allergy experts at Pediatric Associates of Lawrenceville. Our physicians will review your symptoms, do an in-office exam and may order blood work or skin prick testing to pinpoint what sets off your reactions.
Once identified, your doctor will formulate a care plan which may include:
- Allergy shots (immunotherapy)
- Corticosteroids to reduce inflammation
- Remaining indoors during windy days during the warm weather
- Wearing a face mask when doing outdoor chores, such as gardening
- Washing your face and hands after being outdoors
- Changing your clothes after coming indoors
- Using a dehumidifier and air conditioner in your home
- Rinsing your sinuses with a saline nasal spray or Neti pot
- Avoiding the triggers which you know cause the biggest reactions
- Knowing how to use your epi-pen and showing friends and relatives how to help you in the event of a severe reaction
In addition, you should keep your doctor informed of any changes in your allergies so they can adjust your treatment plan and medications as needed.
What's next for your allergies?
You can live well with your allergies. In Lawrenceville, GA, contact the experts at Pediatric Associates of Lawrenceville. They'll partner with you to stay on top of your symptoms so you feel your very best. Call us at (770) 277-6725 for a consultation.